This post may contain affiliate links. That means that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you choose to use the links provided. Thank you for your continued support of this site.
Olive oil is a versatile and delicious oil derived from olives, traditionally found in the mediterranean. It can be used in cooking as well as for beauty and skin care recipes. There are various types of olive oil with extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) being the most sought after especially when it comes to DIY hair care.
However, there are several unscrupulous companies in the market who deliver product that has been saturated with other oils or extracted in questionable ways. These products are rampantly labeled as “Italian extra-virgin” or “organic” when they are nothing of the kind.
As an individual consumer, there’s little you can do to stop these companies. You can however pay more attention when you’re shopping for olive oil. If you know what to look for, it’s easier to spot the fake ones.
6 Ways to Spot Fake Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- The most famous olive oil regions in Italy are Sicily and Apulia. Check that the olive oil comes from one of the cities located in these regions.
- If still in doubt, you can shop online and buy directly from an oil producer.
- Authentic olive oil isn’t cheap. The good stuff starts from around $15.
- Know the difference between virgin olive oil and extra virgin olive oil.
- Check the fine print on the bottle. Take note of the harvest date as this will let you know just how fresh the oil is.
- Try this simple trick – pour some olive oil into a bowl and leave in the fridge for a few days. If it forms a crystal like consistency, it’s likely genuine but if it forms a block, it has been altered in some way.
Armed with the tips above, you should be able to make a more informed decision when it comes to purchasing real extra virgin olive oil in future. Additionally, I have made three suggestions below that come highly recommended:
Also check out the comprehensive guide to the best olive oil brands for hair, health & beauty.