In this article, we go over amaranth oil benefits, what amaranth oil is good for, and some great amaranth oil recipes for hair.
I will also be sharing some great amaranth grain recipes. It’s a really good grain to add to your diet. Read on for why.
If you want to be notified whenever a new article is added to the website, be sure to join the mailing list and download some freebies HERE.
What is Amaranth Oil?
Amaranth oil is another oil that isn’t very popular in beauty but it is excellent for hair and skin.
The plant originated from Latin America but is now grown and consumed throughout Asia, America, and parts of Africa.
Amaranth grain is nutritious and a good source of anthocyanins and polyphenolics.
It also contains a significant amount of quality protein and 8 amino acids with lysine being the most prominent.
Amaranth grain is rich in vitamins A, B, B6, C, K, and minerals such as calcium, copper, and iron. If you’re a vegetarian, this is a great grain to add to your diet.
If you’re interested in including amaranth grain in your diet, I’ve shared links to some great recipes below.
Amaranth oil is composed of linoleic acid, oleic acid, palmitic acid and stearic acid with linoleic acid content being the highest.
Amaranth oil has a light texture and is a medium yellow color with a neutral smell.
Traditionally, amaranth oil and extracts were used to treat several ailments such as UTIs, diarrhea and respiratory disorders.
What Are the Benefits of Amaranth Oil?
1. Squalene Content
Amaranth oil contains more squalene than argan oil and olive oil. Squalene is an emollient that helps hair retain moisture and promote softness.
2. Lysine Content
Amaranth oil contains a significant amount of the amino acid, lysine. Lysine nourishes hair and scalp and promotes stronger hair and better growth.
By the way, other excellent sources of lysine include eggs, fish, poultry, salmon, spinach, soybeans, and red meat.
3. Vital Vitamins for Healthy Hair Growth
Amaranth oil contains vitamin A, vitamin B, vitamin B6, vitamin C, and vitamin K. These are all vitamins that help promote healthy hair growth.
Is Amaranth Oil Good for Hair?
Without a doubt, amaranth oil is great for the hair and its profile suggests it can assist with strengthening hair and preventing hair fall.
Additionally, it can soften dry hair and aid in moisture retention.
I think it should be combined with a few other oils to get the best benefits for hair growth. I’ve shared a great recipe for this below.
Amaranth Oil for Hair Growth
The combination of squalene, lysine, and other vitamins in amaranth oil makes it an excellent oil for hair growth.
I recommend combining with other hair growth oils for the best results. Amaranth oil may also help prevent premature greying.
Amaranth Oil Scalp Massage Oil
- 3 tablespoons of amaranth oil
- 3 tablespoons of castor oil or Jamaican Black Castor Oil
- 3 tablespoons of pumpkin seed oil
- 1 teaspoon of emu oil
- 1 teaspoon of vitamin E oil
- 1 teaspoon argan oil
- 1 teaspoon of crushed hibiscus
- 8 oz bottle like this one
- Open the 8 oz bottle and add in the crushed hibiscus.
- Measure in all the oils then close and shake. Set aside for a few days to infuse.
- Use for a scalp massage every few days using the inversion method. No need to wash out until full regimen day.
- You can also apply a few drops of the oil to your hand and apply it to your ends before styling. Great for preventing split ends and enhances shine.
Amaranth Oil Shampoo
- 1 tablespoon of amaranth oil
- 2 tablespoons of your favorite moisturizing shampoo
- Applicator bottle like this one
- Rosewater or distilled water
- In the applicator bottle, mix the shampoo with the amaranth oil and shake.
- Add in enough rosewater or distilled water and shake again.
- Shampoo your hair with the mix followed by deep conditioning.
- Use as often as required.
This recipe also enhances shine and guards against split ends. Mix a fresh batch every time you want to wash your hair.
Where to Buy Amaranth Oil?
Invest in cold-pressed organic amaranth oil that is delivered in glass containers such as below:-
Amaranth Oil Side Effects
Amaranth oil has no known side effects. However, if you are pregnant or nursing, avoid in the meantime especially if you want to consume the oil.
Amaranth Oil Beauty Products
- Clarins Instant Light Lip Comfort Oil
- Nature’s Gate Professional 99999 Professional Performance Heat Protect and Shine Spray
- Ouai Haircare – Hair And Body Shine Mist
- One Love Organics Discover Easy Does It Foaming Cleanser
- Root Science Youth: Preservation Botanical Serum
Apart from vegetarian recipes, amaranth is also excellent for gluten-free diets. Amaranth also helps the body absorb iron better. Buy organic amaranth grain HERE.