In today’s article, I’m going to talk about how to combine coconut milk and coconut oil for a great protein treatment.
Bet you never thought these two things worked will in a DIY hair mix? If you have dry and/or damaged hair, your hair will love this treatment.
Coconut oil is one of the most versatile oils and is very popular in hair and skincare.
It is derived from the white fruit located within the coconut. The flesh is extracted, dried and the oil extracted from it.
Coconut oil contains lauric and capric acid making it one of the best oils for hair.
It reduces protein loss from the hair and is one of the 3 oils that have the ability to penetrate the hair shaft.
I have covered coconut oil in several articles on the website. You can view those at the following links:-
- Coconut Oil Uses
- DIY Aloe Vera Juice and Coconut Oil Recipe for Dry Hair
- Coconut Oil for Hair Growth
- The Difference Between Virgin & Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
Coconut Milk for Hair
Coconut milk is made by grating the white flesh within coconuts and soaking it in hot water. When the coconut cream rises to the top, it’s skimmed off.
The rest of the liquid is then run through a cheesecloth to produce coconut milk. This liquid is thick and can be used for desserts.
The same flesh can be soaked and run through cheesecloth again to produce a thinner version used in general cooking. Coconut milk is rich in natural protein
Coconut milk contains the same properties as coconut oil. It’s nourishing for hair and is a natural conditioner.
You can buy coconut milk in grocery stores or make your own at home if you have the time by purchasing coconut flakes.
Coconut Milk and Coconut Oil for Hair
If your hair is experiencing excessive dryness and/or breakage or has porosity issues, this is a natural treatment you should look into.
The mixture will also relieve a dry and itchy scalp. I have outlined two coconut oil and coconut milk recipes below.
Coconut Oil and Coconut Milk Pre-Poo Recipe
- 4 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1 can of coconut milk. If you aren’t in a dry environment, you can add 2 tablespoons of honey. If you live in a dry environment, substitute the honey for 2 teaspoons of vitamin E oil.
How to Prepare Coconut Oil and Coconut Milk Pre-Poo
- Heat up the coconut oil slightly then stream in the coconut milk, whisking with a fork.
- Add the honey or vitamin E oil and whisk some more.
- Apply to your hair in sections then twist each section.
- Cover your hair with a disposable cap or cling film and leave on for 45 minutes – 1 hour.
- Rinse out. Wash with a mild shampoo and condition as usual.
- Repeat once a week for the best results.
Coconut Oil & Coconut Milk Moisturizing Protein Treatment Recipe
- 4 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1 can of coconut milk (depending on the length of your hair)
- A few tablespoons of your favorite deep moisturizing conditioner.
The best deep conditioner recommendations for this recipe include:-
- Trader Joe’s Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner
- Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner
- Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner
- Jessicurl Deep Conditioning Treatment
- SheaMoisture Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque
How to Prepare Coconut Oil and Coconut Milk Protein Treatment
- Shampoo your hair as usual and squeeze out excess water.
- Combine ½ cup of your favorite deep conditioner with enough coconut milk for your hair. Mix thoroughly.
- Heat up the coconut oil slightly then pour slowly into the conditioner and coconut oil mixture as you whisk with a fork.
- When the mix is creamy and well blended, apply generously to your hair in sections.
- Cover with a disposable cap and sit under a hair steamer for 30 minutes.
- Rinse out and style your hair as usual.
- Repeat weekly for the best results.
- You can alternate between the two recipes every week.
Coconut milk is thin and the treatments can be a bit messy so use an applicator bottle like this one.
You should always drape a towel around your neck before application.
Best Coconut Oil Recommendations
- Trader Joe’s Organic Coconut Oil
- Viva Naturals Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- Garden of Life Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- Nature’s Way Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- Lucy Bee Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil
Best Coconut Milk Recommendations
- Nature’s Greatest Foods Organic Coconut Milk
- Native Forest Simple Organic Unsweetened Coconut Milk
- Chaokoh Coconut Milk
- Jiva Organics Coconut Milk
If you try out this hair mask, please share in the comments section even if you add some variations to it. 🙂