This post may contain affiliate links. That means that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you choose to use the links provided. Thank you for your continued support of this site.
In the last few years, I have noticed more circles and slight puffiness under my eyes. While I have products I use for this, which I discussed earlier in my top beauty products for skin care article, it’s become more noticeable in recent times. This is most likely due to the increased amount of time I now spend in front of the computer daily. Additional causes of under eye circles include:
- Lack of sleep or disturbed sleep cycle.
- Bad diets.
- Excessive crying.
- Unnecessary stress.
- Vitamin deficiency.
This isn’t an exhaustive list but is the most common reasons. Under eye circles are common in a lot of people including children. In recent times, I’ve started boosting the work of my eye cream with some additional oil treatments.
Coconut Oil & Potato Poultice for Under Eye Circles
- Take 2 slices of potato and rub lightly on one side with coconut oil.
- Place one slice each on your eyes with the coconut side facing your eyes.
- Close your eyes, lie down and wait for half an hour then rinse off.
- When your face is dry, apply a few drops of coconut oil under each eye and massage gently in circular motions for a few minutes.
- Apply your usual eye cream thinly over the coconut oil and leave in overnight. Repeat the process every evening.
Almond Oil, Vitamin E Oil & Cucumber Poultice for Under Eye Circles
- This remedy is particularly useful for circles that appear black. Slice a cold fresh cucumber then place a slice each over each eye.
- Leave on for 30 minutes then rinse your eyes.
- Afterwards, mix a few drops of almond oil with 2 – 3 drops of vitamin E oil then apply under each eye.
- Massage in the same way as above until the oil is absorbed then leave in overnight. Repeat every evening.
Coconut & Almond Oil Poultice for Under Eye Circles
- Mix equal amounts of coconut oil and almond oil in your palm then apply under your eyes.
- Massage in gentle circles until the oil is absorbed.
- Wait 5 minutes, then apply your usual under eye cream very lightly over the area. Massage again.
- Leave in overnight.
You don’t have to practice all the 3 methods above at once. Start with one and maintain for about a month to see if there is an improvement. If not, move on to the next suggestion. This way, you are able to isolate and eliminate what isn’t working.
The second recommendation above is my favourite and the one I’ve stuck to over the last few months. I alternate it with my under eye cream so if I use the almond oil, vitamin E oil & cucumber poultice on Sunday, I use my under eye cream on Monday etc, etc.
Do be careful when applying each mix and don’t let it get into your eyes. While not harmful, it will likely irritate your pupils. Over application will not produce faster results. Apply the recommendations in moderation and focus on consistency.