If you have dry and itchy skin that has difficulty retaining moisture, a good body butter might be just what you need.
The body butter is a rich creamy concoction formulated to hydrate even the driest of skin.
I have already covered a few of them in the natural butter section of the site.
8 Body Butter Benefits
1. Moisturizes Dry Skin
Body butters are thick and rich in moisturizing ingredients that help keep dry skin under control all day leading to soft and supple skin over time.
2. Optimal for Everyday Use
Body butters can be used through all seasons – summer, winter, spring, and autumn. It doesn’t matter. You can also use it every day.
3. Treats Skin Conditions
Body butter can be used to treat certain skin conditions like stretch marks, eczema, and wrinkles.
4. Protects the Skin
Body butter serves as a protective barrier on the skin due to its thickness and skin-nourishing vitamin content.
5. Affordable Skincare
Body butter is affordable commercially, or as a DIY alternative. Your skin doesn’t need super expensive high range body butters or skin creams to thrive.
6. Suitable for All Skin Types
While most beneficial for dry skin, body butter can be used on every skin type.
7. Treats Corns & Calluses
If you suffer from corns and calluses, a good body butter can treat the affected area in conjunction with good pedicures every now and then.
8. Quick Absorption
Body butter melts upon application and is quickly absorbed into the skin.
Body Butter vs Body Lotion. Which is Better?
Body butters and body lotions are both created to hydrate the skin.
However, body lotion contains more water while body butter is composed primarily of butter and other yummy non-water based ingredients.
You will need to apply the body lotion several times to combat dryness whereas you usually need to apply the body butter only once.
Depending on the environment where you live and your skin type, body butters may work better than body lotions.
Where I live, I rely heavily on my body butter during the cold and dry months while I alternate between that and my body lotion during the really hot periods of the year.
In the end, it depends on what your skin likes and how your skin reacts to it.
10 Body Butters for Dry and Itchy Skin
Below are my top 10 recommendations for body butters for dry and itchy skin. Ingredients are natural and organic, and they are budget friendly too.
DIY Body Butter Ingredients
- The foundation of a body butter is a good natural butter, which may be shea butter, mango butter, cupuacu butter, cocoa butter, kokum butter, illipe nut butter, tucuma butter or murumuru butter. It could also be a combination of one or more of the butters.
- Next comes a suitable oil and the imagination is your limit here. My favorites are coconut oil, grapeseed oil, rosehip seed oil, vitamin E oil, emu oil, marula oil and jasmine absolute oil.
- Your body butter can be unscented or you can add some essential oils for a subtle smell. Suitable essential oils include lavender essential oil, rosehip essential oil, ylang-ylang essential oil, and vanilla essential oil.
- You can also add some oils for preservation purposes like star anise seed oil, eucalyptus essential oil, and peppermint essential oil.
Depending on your senses, you can mix and match accordingly. Once you’ve chosen your basics above, follow this recipe for DIY body butter.
DIY Body Butter Recipe
- Soften the body butter over a bowl of hot water then whip with a fork if you have the energy or a hand blender like this one.
- Add in the carrier oils, essential oils and any other scents then whip some more until the butter is white and frothy like icing.
- Pipe into a suitable jar similar to this one then put in the fridge for about an hour to set.
- Your DIY body butter is ready. Can be used on skin and lips as required.
- This mix can last for months depending on how much you make.
There are some other excellent body butters on the market.
However, they are water-based even though they have a lot of the yummy ingredients mentioned above.
Below are the top 15 which may be of interest to you:
- Caswell-Massey Lavender Body Butter
- Soap & Glory Smoothie Star Body Buttercream
- Tatcha Indigo Soothing Silk Body Butter
- Moroccanoil Body Butter in Fleur de Rose
- Clinique Deep Comfort Body Butter
- Ahava Mineral Botanic Body Butter in Lemon and Sage
- Korres Mulberry Vanilla Body Butter
- Antica Farmacista Body Butter in Prosecco
- Bliss Grapefruit & Aloe Body Butter
- Crabtree & Evelyn Skin Nourishing Body Butter in Avocado, Olive and Basil
- Davines Authentic Replenishing Butter
- Archipelago Botanicals Black Honey Body Butter
- Vichy Ideal Body Balm Skin Firming Body Butter
- Whish Pomegranate Body Butter
- FarmHouse Fresh Whoopie White Velvet Shea Butter Cream
No matter your skin type, you can’t go wrong adding body butter to your skin care regimen as the benefits are immense.
Share your DIY body butter recipe or favorite body butter brands in the comments section and I’ll update the list.