This post may contain affiliate links. That means that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you choose to use the links provided. Thank you for your continued support of this site.
- Cooking with Oil: Get Better Cholesterol Levels & Healthier Hair with Red Palm Oil
- Extra Sheen for Dry & Dull Hair with Red Palm Oil
This article will be covering 5 quick and easy recipes you can make with red palm oil. These recipes can be incorporated quickly into your diet and are not much of a hassle to make. A godsend for lazy cooks like me.
Red Palm Oil Dressing
You will need ¼ cup of red palm oil, 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, 2 teaspoons of chopped thyme and parsley, 1 teaspoon mustard, 1 teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon ground black pepper and a bit of sea salt to taste.
- Whisk the red palm oil for up to 5 mins.
- Add in the red wine vinegar, thyme and parsley and mustard. Whisk some more until well blended.
- Sprinkle with paprika and black pepper and taste. Add salt as needed.
- Drizzle over grilled vegetables or salad.
Hummus with Red Palm Oil
You will need 1 can of chickpeas, 1 clove of garlic, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 2 tablespoons of red palm oil, 1 tablespoon of paprika, 1 lemon, sea salt to taste, a bit of water.
- Drain the chickpeas then boil for 5 – 7 mins.
- Drain out of the water into a blender, add in the garlic and olive oil with a bit of water. Blend for a few minutes.
- Add in the red palm oil and lemon and blend until smooth. Check the texture and add a little bit of water if necessary.
- Pour into a bowl and sprinkle the paprika over the hummus followed by enough olive oil to cover the top of the hummus.
- Enjoy with bread, crackers and crudités.
- For a twist, you can add some quinoa into the mix but it’s not necessary.
Red Palm Oil Marinade for Chicken and Beef
You will need 3 minced garlic cloves, 1 medium sized onion (diced), 5 tablespoons agave nectar, 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon ketchup, ginger, cinnamon, paprika, hot sauce and ½ cup of red palm oil
- Heat up the red palm oil slightly then ass in the garlic and onions and fry until transparent.
- Add in the agave nectar and apple cider vinegar and fry some more.
- Add in the ketchup, a dash of ginger, cinnamon, paprika and hot sauce.
- Simmer for 10 minutes until thickened.
- Set aside to cool then blend.
- To marinate, line chicken or beef in a plastic bowl and cover with the marinade for 4 hours to overnight.
Fried Yams with Red Palm Oil
You will need 1 – 2 yams, sea salt, ground black better and ½ cup of red palm oil.
- Slice the yams evenly into cubes, rinse and leave in a bowl of lukewarm water for about 15 minutes.
- Heat the red palm oil up in the meantime.
- Drain the water out of the yams then sprinkle with the sea salt and toss around until the cubes are covered with the salt.
- Start frying the yams until golden brown and drain in a coriander.
- Sprinkle with the ground pepper and serve while hot.
- You can also bake the yams by spreading the palm oil on a baking sheet. Line with the yams and bake for up to 10 mins. Serve while hot.
I discussed this dish in the earlier article – Get Better Cholesterol Levels & Healthier Hair with Red Palm Oil. You will need red palm oil, ground melon seeds, chopped spinach, maggi, pepper sauce, salt to taste and precooked fish, meat or chicken. You can also use shrimps if you like.
Here’s a quick video from 9ja Foodie demonstrating how to make egusi soup.
You can find ground melon seeds in international grocery stores usually. I’ve heard you can use ground pumpkin seeds as well but I’ve never tried it.
There are many other red palm oil recipes out there and you can also experiment at home by replacing red palm oil in some of the dishes you would normally use another kind of oil for. The results should be fun.
Do you have your own red palm oil recipes? Share in the comments section. Let’s stay healthy together!
main image credit