Baobab, pronounced beɪə(ʊ)bab, oil originates from the tree of the same name aka as Adansonia digitata, named after the French botanist Michel Adanson who studied the trees. The tree is found in tropical regions of Africa, at low altitudes and is known to live for as long as 3,000 years.
The capsule like fruit from the baobab tree contains seeds, which are extracted then washed, and air dried. They are then cold pressed to produce the oil. Baobab oil is lightly scented semi-fluid golden-yellow oil.
The Top 5 Benefits of Baobab Oil for Hair
- Baobab oil is quickly absorbed leaving no oiliness or greasiness.
- Baobab oil is highly moisturizing and soothing.
- Baobab oil constitutes an effective treatment for eczema and psoriasis.
- Baobab oil is a non-siccative (non-drying) oil.
- A little goes a long way ensuring a 1 oz. bottle lasts a long time.
What Can You Do with Baobab Oil?
So you’ve read up on the benefits. Now, how can you incorporate it into your regimen?
- Two in one – scalp massage and hot oil treatment. Mix 1/3 cup of baobab oil with 1/3 cup of jojoba oil then add in 10 drops of an essential oil such as rosemary, eucalyptus, tea tree and lavender oil. Mix together thoroughly then place the mixture in a bowl of boiling water. Once hot, part and oil your scalp and the length of your hair then massage your scalp thoroughly. Wrap a wet hot towel around your head and wait until cooled down then shampoo and condition as usual.
- To seal in moisture, squirt a few drops in your palm then rub together between your palms and apply to the length of your hair as a final step. Remember, a little goes a long way.
If your hair is dry and crunchy with a side of dull, baobab oil is a great way to revive your hair and put some bounce back into your curls.
If you would like to know more about how to use natural oils for specific purposes to get more effective use out of them, you may want to check out How to Grow Hair Healthy & Long with Natural Oils, a guide which goes in-depth into which specific oil (s) works for each hair issues for optimal length and health.