I am spending a lot of time exploring some uncommon oils this year. Rare yet fantastic for hair and skin. One of those uncommon oils is pequi oil.
In this article, I’ll explore the origin of pequi oil, benefits of pequi oil for hair, pequi oil uses, where to buy pequi oil and some pequi oil products.
What is Pequi Oil?
Pequi oil is extracted from the seeds of the Caryocar brasiliense, a plant native to Brazil. Pequi oil is pale yellow with a viscous consistency and fruity/nutty aroma.
In Brazil, pequi fruits are eaten raw or included in cooking with rice. It is also processed liqueur and juice.
Pequi oil is composed primarily of palmitic acid and oleic acid, with minor amounts of linolenic acid and stearic acid.
How is Pequi Oil Made?
The process of obtaining pequi oil is manual. The peeled fruit is boiled and stirred until the oil rises to the top. The oil is then skimmed with a large spoon.
The oil is then heated and filtered. The process reduces the shelf life of the oil but the result is unrefined and cold pressed oil.
Pequi Oil Uses
- Pequi oil is rich in essential fatty acids and is an emollient oil. It forms a protective barrier around hair and helps lock in moisture for longer.
- Pequi oil is an excellent moisturizer and helps alleviate symptoms of dryness, dullness, and damage on hair.
- Pequi oil nourishes and conditions the hair and helps reduce frizziness on hair.
- Pequi oil contains a high amount of vitamin A and E. Vitamin A strengthens and protects while vitamin E softens and nourishes.
Pequi Oil Recipe for Curly Hair
- 5 tablespoons of a good moisturizing deep conditioner like TGIN Honey Miracle Hair Mask or Davines OI Award Winning Deep Conditioner
- 2 tablespoons of pequi oil
- 1 teaspoon of argan oil
- 5 drops of lavender essential oil
- Place an empty bowl over a bigger bowl of boiling water.
- Measure in the moisturizing deep conditioner, pequi oil, argan oil and lavender essential oil
- Stir and wait for the mixture to heat up.
- In the meantime, shampoo your hair as usual then apply the deep conditioning mix.
- Pin up your hair with the ends exposed and sit under a hair steamer for 30 minutes.
- Rinse out and continue with the rest of your regimen.
Where to Buy Pequi Oil?
Pequi Oil Products
Ultra moisturizing leave-in conditioner for highly textured hair. Lightweight and doesn’t leave behind a filmy residue. Also contains chufa milk, coconut oil, argan oil, avocado oil, sunflower oil, jojoba oil and aloe vera leaf juice.
A restorative hair treatment formulated for reviving dry, brittle hair that’s been color-treated or chemically straightened. It also tames frizz, prevents split ends and keeps hair color vibrant.
ORS Edge Control Gel for sleek hair and edges, luminous shine and breakage protection in addition to long-lasting hold and no build-up.
A luxurious treatment for dry and/or damaged hair that moisturizes and nourishes every hair strand. Also contains argan oil and buriti oil.
Bioken Pequi Body Oil Spray is an antioxidant-rich hydrating body oil spray that absorbs deeply into the skin to provide restoration, smoother and softer skin. Also contains olive oil and aloe vera leaf juice.
Tree Hut Shea Sugar Scrub is an intense exfoliation treatment for dry skin. In addition to pequi oil, it also contains evening primrose oil, safflower oil, and sweet almond oil.
Reference 1 | 2