This post may contain affiliate links. That means that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you choose to use the links provided. Thank you for your continued support of this site.
Corn oil is part of the ceramides family written about in an earlier article Using Ceramides in Natural Oils for Moisturised & Healthy Hair. It has a concentration of 59% ceramides but is it safe to use on hair?
Corn oil aka maize oil is expeller pressed from the germ of corn. It undergoes additional processes using hexane or 2-methylpentane (isohexane), degumming and deodorization, which can eliminate a lot of its goodness in the process. It is cheap and an economical filler for products.
The oil is rich in unsaturated fatty acids omega-6 linoleic essential fatty acids, omega-9 oleic fatty acids and omega-3 alpha-linolenic fats. It also contains vitamins K and E, and is rich in phytosterols, which is helpful for scalp damage.
5 Benefits of Corn Oil for Hair
- It locks moisture in the hair preventing dryness and dry ends.
- The presence of Vitamin K in the oil helps prevent hair loss.
- Vitamin E helps improve blood circulation and fight free radicals.
- Corn oil also nourishes the scalp fostering a healthier environment for hair growth.
- It has a high heating point, which makes it suitable for heat styling.
So is corn oil safe for use? The available literature indicates it’s not safe for consumption unless balanced out with additional dietary supplements of omega 3 but when it comes to hair, the answer is yes provided unrefined, 100% expeller pressed corn oil is used. It’s more expensive but definitely a better option.
How to Use Corn Oil
- Mix 1 – 2 tablespoons in with your shampoo before washing your hair. When you apply it, concentrate on smoothing it down the length of your hair, leave in for 5 minutes then wash out. The corn oil should be added only to the shampoo you’re using for the session. Don’t mix it in with your entire bottle.
- Heat up 6 – 7 tablespoons, then apply to hair and scalp, giving yourself a good massage, before going to bed. Cover with a shower cap and scarf and leave in overnight. Wash out with a mild shampoo the next morning and style as usual.
If you would like to know more about how to use natural oils for specific purposes to get more effective use out of them, you may want to check out How to Grow Hair Healthy & Long with Natural Oils, a guide which goes in-depth into which specific oil (s) works for each hair issues for optimal length and health.