Corn oil is part of the ceramides family written about in an earlier article Using Ceramides in Natural Oils for Moisturised & Healthy Hair.
Corn oil has a concentration of 59% ceramides but is it safe to use on hair? I explore this quest
Corn oil aka maize oil is expeller-pressed from the germ of corn. It undergoes additional processes using hexane or 2-methylpentane (isohexane), degumming and deodorization.
This intense process can eliminate a lot of its goodness in the process.
Refined corn oil is a golden yellow colour while unrefined corn oil is a darker colour and has a richer corn taste. Corn oil is cheap and economical filler for products.
Corn oil is rich in unsaturated fatty acids omega-6 linoleic essential fatty acids, omega-9 oleic fatty acids, and omega-3 alpha-linolenic fats.
Corn oil also contains vitamins K and E and is rich in phytosterols, which is helpful for scalp damage.
5 Benefits of Corn Oil for Hair
- Corn oil locks moisture in the hair preventing dryness and dry ends.
- The presence of Vitamin K in corn oil helps prevent hair loss.
- Vitamin E helps improve blood circulation and fight free radicals.
- Corn oil also nourishes the scalp fostering a healthier environment for hair growth.
- It has a high heating point, which makes it suitable for heat styling.
So is corn oil safe for use? The available literature indicates it’s not safe for consumption unless balanced out with additional dietary supplements of omega 3.
However, when it comes to hair, the answer is yes provided unrefined, 100% expeller pressed corn oil is used. It’s more expensive but definitely a better option.
Expeller pressed oil is an oil extracted via mechanical extraction. While this method creates high temperatures as well, it is still better than corn oil extracted via hexane or other harmful methods.
How to Use Corn Oil on Hair
DIY Corn Oil Shampoo
- Mix 1 – 2 tablespoons of corn oil with your shampoo before washing your hair.
- When you apply it, concentrate on smoothing it down the length of your hair, leave in for 5 minutes then wash out.
- The corn oil should be added only to the shampoo you’re using for the session. Don’t mix it in with your entire bottle.
DIY Corn Oil Scalp Massage
- Heat up 6 – 7 tablespoons of corn oil, then apply to hair and scalp, giving yourself a good massage, before going to bed.
- Cover with a shower cap and scarf and leave in overnight.
- Wash out with a mild shampoo the next morning.
- Condition and style as usual.
Best Corn Oil for Hair
Interested in how to use natural oils for specific purposes for effective hair growth?
You may want to check out How to Grow Hair Healthy & Long with Natural Oils. The book is a comprehensive compilation of over 30 natural oils for hair.
It goes in-depth into which specific oil (s) works for each hair issue for optimal length and health. Learn more HERE.
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. Read full disclosure HERE.