We’ve done conditioner only washing, clay washing, honey washing, baking soda cleansing, ACV (apple cider vinegar) cleansing and various other ways to clean hair without the use of harsh chemicals like sodium sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) and ammonium lauryl sulfate (ALS). Now, we have water only washing.
This trend has been around for a few years but it never really registered with me because it just seemed odd to clean hair with only water. However, in recent months, there’s been a resurgence of the water only washing method. Naptural85 started practicing water only washing some time last year as well as several other natural hair YouTubers.
What’s the Water Only Washing Method?
Water only washing means exactly what it implies. Washing the hair with only lukewarm water and then rinsing it with more water. When I hear this, I think of itchy scalp, build up, smelly hair, dry hair from build up, dull hair from build up, etc etc yet there is a following for this method so it must be working on some level, right?
6 Benefits of Water Only Washing
- The point of water only washing is to allow your scalp to naturally regulate itself and produce the natural oils that will nourish and moisturise your scalp and hair since shampoo and other no poo methods have a tendency to strip those oils.
- Additionally, it should balance the pH level of your scalp and protect it from any infections fostering an environment for better hair growth.
- Effective detangling sessions and the more you wash with water only, the less tangles you have.
- Your hair will become the softest its ever been, making it even more manageable.
- With a balanced scalp and hair, your dry hair problems will melt away.
- Since you will be giving up your 5,000 bottles and jars of hair cleansing stuff, your wallet is expected to thank you eventually.
While I haven’t discovered any science backing these claims, the benefits above does sound interesting enough to give this a try. I’m taking out my braids this week and will be giving my hair a month’s rest from the protective style challenge. In that time, I plan to practice the water only washing routine and see if it lives up to all the hype.
If you’re planning to give this a go, its important to note you need to remove all the product build up in your hair initially with a good clarifying shampoo.