I have a comprehensive archive on the use of essential oil for hair growth on the website but sometimes, I still receive some questions about incorporating essentials oils into a hair care regimen.
I’m answering one of these essential oil questions from a frequent reader today. You can catch up on the essential oils archive for more information.
“What is the best essential oil for hair growth?” – F.M
What is an Essential Oil?
An essentials oil is a volatile liquid extracted from plants. They are named from whichever plant they’re extracted from.
Essential oils are mostly extracted via steam distillation. There are a few other extraction methods such as solvent extraction, resin tapping, cold pressing, and expression.
Essential oils are very popular in aromatherapy for their healing and relaxation properties.
The best essential oils for hair growth have 6 properties in common.
6 Properties of Essentials Oils for Hair Growth
All these properties help essential oils eliminate issues on your scalp causing issues. Some of these issues could be infections or flakiness.
As it eliminated these issues, it stimulates hair follicles and improves circulation to the scalp area.
Combined with the correct carrier oils, essential oils are a very effective way to treat hair growth.
Best Essential Oils for Hair Growth & Thickness
I’ve suffered a bout of hair loss twice so I’ve experimented with many essential oils and carrier oils.
Based on this research and testing, the best essential oils for hair growth and thickness includes:-
All the essential oils recommended above contain the properties required for optimal hair growth and eliminating scalp issues.
If you’re new to using essential oils, below are some important do and don’t of using them.
I have also included a nifty essential oil blend for hair growth recipe card at the end of this article.
7 Dos and Donts of Essential Oils
1. Essential Oils Shouldn’t Be Ingested
Essential oils are toxic. There are some therapeutic-grade essential oils that are marked as fit for consumption.
However, they should be ingested only under the direction of an experienced and certified professional.
2. Essential Oils Should Be Diluted
Undiluted essential oils shouldn’t be applied to the skin as they can cause contact dermatitis.
Keep away from the skin as much as possible before diluting with a suitable carrier oil.
3. Not For Pregnant Women
Pregnant women should not use essential oils unless cleared by a physician. It has also been shown to cause irritation and nausea in pregnant women.
4. Store Essential Oils Properly
Essential oils should be stored in dark bottles in a cool location to preserve their integrity.
The dark bottle should also be dropper style like this one so you don’t contaminate the essential oil.
5. Do Not Use on Younger Children
Do not use essential oils on children under the age of 5 unless directed by a physician.
6. Be Cautious if You Have Allergies
If you have any allergies, check with the physician before you start using the essential oils recommended in this article.
7. Essential Oils Are Not Suitable as a Heat Protectant
Do no use essential oils as a heat protectant. Some of them are flammable when exposed to sparks or electricity.
Previous articles that examined each essential oil mentioned above recommended several blends for hair issues. You can view those articles at:-
- How to Treat Acne and Funal Infections With Tea Tree Essntial Oil
- Eucalyptus Essential Oil for Hair and Skin
- Evidence Based Science Behind Peppermint Essential Oil for Hair Loss
- Rosemary Essential Oil for Scalp Issues, Hair Growth and Thinning Hair
You can use one of those recipes or the one below. They are all effective and comes down to which mix your hair responds best to.
Stimulating Essential Oil Blend for Hair Growth
You will need the following ingredients:-
- Sweet almond oil – appropriate for moisture retention
- Jamaican black castor oil or clear castor oil – great complementary carrier oil to hair growth recipes
- Emu oil – one of the top recommendations for hair growth in The Ultimate Hair Growth Guide.
- Vitamin E oil – enhances softness and shine
- Rosemary essential oil
- Peppermint essential oil
- Lemongrass essential oil or neem essential oil – These help to address any scalp issues you might have, which may be hindering effective hair growth.
- Lavender essential oil or ylang-ylang essential oil – great for fragrance and soothing the senses but totally optional
- Dark- colored bottle with dropper
- Measure 2 tablespoons of sweet almond oil and 3 tablespoons of Jamaican black castor oil (JBCO) or clear castor oil into the bottle.
- Add in 1 teaspoon each of emu oil and vitamin E oil.
- Add 5 drops each of rosemary essential oil and peppermint essential oil. Close and shake.
- Open and add 3 drops of lemongrass essential oil or neem essential oil.
- Add the lavender essential oil or ylang-ylang essential oil if using. Close and shake again.
You may need to mix and match the essential oils to figure out which mix your hair will like best.
How to Use Essential Oil Blend for Hair Growth
- Use the mix as a scalp massage oil 2 – 3 times a week before going to bed. Massage in for 5 – 10 minutes until your scalp feels hot. Use my tried and tested scalp massage technique here.
- You can also use it to massage your scalp 30 – 45 minutes before shampooing and deep conditioning.
If you enjoyed this post, you’ll be interested in The Ultimate Hair Growth Guide.
The books is a comprehensive resource for recovering from hair loss, regrowing bald spots, and filling in thin areas of your scalp.
Rated 4.5 out of 5 on Amazon and Goodreads, this is one resource you want to have with you on your healthy hair care journey.
There’s also a whole chapter in the book dedicated to the role of essentials oils in recovering from hair loss as well as the best essential oils for hair loss and how to combine them with natural oils.
Learn more and grab your discounted copy when you join our subscriber list HERE.
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. Read full disclosure HERE.