Last Updated on
I’ve featured essential oils for hair growth on the website but sometimes, I still receive some questions and I’m answering one of them today from a frequent reader.
“What is the best essential oil for hair growth?” – F.M
What is an Essential Oil?
An essentials oil is a volatile liquid extracted from plants. They are named from whichever plant they’re extracted from.
Essential oils are mostly extracted via steam distillation. There are a few other extraction methods such as solvent extraction, resin tapping, cold pressing, and expression.
Essential oils are very popular in aromatherapy for their healing and relaxation properties. The best essential oils for hair growth have 6 properties in common.
6 Properties of Essentials Oils for Hair Growth
All these ingredients help eliminate anything on your scalp causing issues such as infections or flakiness while stimulating your follicles and improving circulation to the scalp area.
Combined with the correct carrier oils, essential oils are a very effective way to treat hair growth.
Best Essential Oils for Hair Growth & Thickness
I’ve suffered bouts of hair loss twice so I’ve experimented with many essential oils and carrier oils. Based on this research and testing, the best essential oils for hair growth and thickness includes:-
7 Dos and Don’ts of Essential Oils
1. Essential Oils Shouldn’t Be Ingested
Essential oils are toxic. While there are some therapeutic grade essential oils that are marked as fit for consumption, they should be ingested only under the direction of an experienced and certified professional.
2. Should Be Diluted
Undiluted essential oils shouldn’t be applied to the skin as it can cause contact dermatitis. Keep away from skin as much as possible before diluting with a suitable carrier oil.
3. Not For Pregnant Women
Pregnant women should not use essential oils unless cleared by a physician. It has also been shown to cause irritation and nausea in pregnant women.
4. Proper Storage
Essential oils should be stored in dark bottles in a cool location to preserve their integrity. The dark bottle should also be dropper style like this one so you don’t contaminate the essential oil.
5. Do Not Use on Younger Children
Do not use essential oils on children under the age of 5 unless directed by a physician.
6. Be Cautious if You Have Allergies
If you have any allergies, check with the physician before you start using the essential oils below.
7. Not Suitable as a Heat Protectant
Do no use essential oils as a heat protectant. Some of them are flammable when exposed to sparks or electricity.
Stimulating Essential Oils Blend for Hair Growth
Previous articles which examined each essential oil mentioned above recommended several blends for hair issues.
You can use one of those recipes or the one below. They are all effective and comes down to which mix your hair reacts best to:
- Mix equal parts of sweet almond oil and Jamaican black castor oil (JBCO) or clear castor oil in a 4 oz dark colored bottle.
- You can also add in 1 teaspoon of emu oil and vitamin E oil.
- Add 5 drops each of rosemary essential oil, peppermint essential oil, and eucalyptus essential oil. Shake.
- Open and add 5 drops of lemongrass essential oil or neem essential oil. Adding lemongrass oil or neem essential oil helps to address any scalp issues you might have, which may be hindering effective hair growth.
- If you want to dial down the odor of the mix, you can add a few drops of lavender essential oil or ylang-ylang essential oil.
You may need to mix and match the recipe to figure out which mix your hair will like best.
How to Use Essential Oils for Hair Growth
- Use the mix as a scalp massage oil 2 – 3 times a week before going to bed.
- Massage in for 5 – 10 minutes until your scalp feels hot.
- You can also use it to massage your scalp 30 – 45 minutes before shampooing and deep conditioning.
Previous Essential Oil Articles
- Apply Rosemary Oil for Scalp Issues, Hair Growth & Thinning Hair
- The Proven Science Behind Peppermint Oil for Hair Loss Issues
- Eucalyptus Essential Oil for Hair & Skin
- How to Treat Acne and Fungal Infections with Tea Tree Essential Oil
If you enjoyed this post, you’ll be interested in The Ultimate Hair Growth Guide, a comprehensive tool for recovering from hair loss, regrowing bald spots and filling in thin areas of your scalp.
Rated 4.5 out of 5 on Amazon and Goodreads, this is one resource you want to have with you on your healthy hair care journey.
There’s also a whole chapter in the book dedicated to the role of essentials oils in recovering from hair loss as well as the best essential oils for hair loss and how to combine them with natural oils.
Learn more and grab your discounted copy when you join our subscriber list HERE.