This post may contain affiliate links. That means that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you choose to use the links provided. Thank you for your continued support of this site.
- Sodium lauryl sulfate/ Sodium Laureth Sulfate: This is what makes shampoo lather up right nice but they are cheap detergents, which are also used in cleaners, and clothes detergents. Would you put either of these on your hair? Probably not. Other ingredients in the same family, which you should look out for, are ammonium laureth sulfate, ammonium laurel sulfate and TEA laurel sulfate.
- Parabens (methyl, propyl, butyl, and ethyl): These are preservatives, which inhibit microbial growth and extend the shelf life of products. However, they have been linked to breast cancer and also cause allergic and skin reactions.
- Diethanolamine (DEA) and Triethanolamine (TEA): These ingredients are synthetic emulsifiers and/or foaming agents. They are highly acidic and can cause allergic reactions, eye irritation, and dryness of hair and skin. DEA can also strip away vital amino acids from the hair leaving it feeling dry, dull and lifeless. On labels, look for names like cocamide DEA or MES and Lauramide DEA.
- Mineral Oil: This is a derivative of crude oil, the same ingredient used in industrial fluids and oils. All it does is coat the hair like a plastic wrap and just sits on it without providing any benefits.
- Petrolatum: It mimics many of the same properties as mineral oil and is used industrially as a grease component as well. Applied to the scalp, it can suffocate the skin and hinder healthy hair growth.
Check the ingredients on the bottle before you buy it. The higher up an ingredient is on the list, the more of it is contained in the product (s). All these ingredients combine together to dry out hair and cause damage. Natural and organic products work better in the long run. Have a look at our comprehensive list of organic and natural products HERE.
If you enjoyed this post, you’ll be interested in The Ultimate Hair Growth Guide, a comprehensive tool for recovering from hair loss, regrowing bald spots, filling in thin areas of your scalp and the best ways to keep your hair healthy. Learn more and grab your discounted copy HERE.
Image Credit: www.freedigitalphotos.net/pakorn