This post may contain affiliate links. That means that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you choose to use the links provided. Thank you for your continued support of this site.
Caring for thinning hair with burdock root oil was discussed in Reverse Thinning Hair with Burdock Root Oil. Burdock root oil is one of the best natural oils to use for recovering from hair loss issues. It was also featured prominently in How to Grow Your Hair Healthy & Long with Natural Oils.
In this article, I will share a recipe for making burdock root oil at home. It’s simple to prepare and takes a few weeks to be ready for use. Burdock root oil is aka bur oil and burdock oil.
What is Burdock Root Oil Good For?
When it comes to optimal hair health, burdock root is one of the great natural oils especially for treatment of thinning hair. There’s a good reason I featured it prominently in How to Grow Your Hair Healthy and Long with Natural Oils.
When I was suffering from hair loss issues, burdock root oil was on the oils that helped me regrow my hair. In addition to recovering from thinning areas of the scalp, burdock root oil can help with eliminating scalp irritation issues.
Can Burdock Root Be Eaten?
The burdock plant is made up of large leaves, purple flowers, and seeds. All the parts of the burdock plant can be consumed for herbal and medicinal purposes. Additionally, the burdock root contains a good amount of dietary fiber, amino acids, calcium, and potassium. It also has a low-calorie content.
In Japan, burdock root is used in the preparation of kinpira gobō (sauteed burdock root, carrot, and daikon) as well as burdock makizushi (rolled sushi filled with pickled burdock root). As you can see, burdock root can be safely consumed following the usual food safety guidelines. Check out some burdock root recipes below:-
DIY Burdock Root Oil for Thinning Hair
Directions – Dried Burdock Root
- Scrub off the dirt on the dried burdock root, then chop into as little pieces.
- Placed the chopped pieces into the glass jar.
- Fill up the jar with olive oil. Exact measurements depend on how big the glass jar is.
- Close the jar and place in a dark cabinet.
- Let the mixture infuse for up to 6 weeks while the goodness sips out of the burdock roots.
- Open up the jar every week to release the air bubbles that build up inside.
- After 6 weeks, strain the mix through a cheesecloth and discard the roots.
- Pour the burdock root oil into a dark bottle and store in a cool area.
Directions – Fresh Burdock Root
- Chop the fresh root into little pieces and spread out on a large tray.
- Leave out for 1 – 2 days so the moisture in the fresh root to evaporate. You can also pound the roots a little before spreading out on the tray.
- Once the burdock root is dry enough, repeat steps 2 – 8 above.
Where to Buy Dried Burdock Root
You can find dried burdock root at your local herb store or purchase online HERE. If you’re a bit of a gardener, you can grow your own burdock plants. Using fresh or dried burdock root doesn’t affect the potency of the end result as long as you follow the directions.
Warning: It is advised that diabetics and women who are pregnant or breastfeeding consult a physician before using burdock root oil.
- Regrow Bald Spots with Jamaican Black Castor Oil
- How to Grow Your Hair Healthy & Long with Natural Oils
- Guide to the Best Brands of Extra Virgin Olive Oil for Hair, Health & Beauty
- Derma Rolling Bald Spots for Growth
- Grow Hair Long with Emu Oil
Hair Products with Burdock Root Oil
- Eveline Cosmetics Bioactive Burdock Shampoo
- Eveline Cosmetics Bioactive Burdock Hair Mask
- 100% Pure Burdock & Neem Healthy Scalp Conditioner
- MyHoneyChild Peppermint & Burdock Root Slip Conditioner
- Aveda Scalp Benefits Balancing Conditioner with Burdock Root
- Aveda Scalp Benefits Balancing Shampoo with Burdock Root
If you enjoyed this post, you’ll be interested in The Ultimate Hair Growth Guide, a comprehensive tool for recovering from hair loss, regrowing bald spots and filling in thin areas of your scalp.
There’s a whole chapter in there dedicated to all the methods you can use to recover from thinning hair. Learn more and grab your discounted copy HERE.