Cupuacu butter comes from a tree that grows in the Amazon rainforest in South America. The tree is similar to the cocoa tree, and its seeds are sometimes used in the production of white chocolate. Cupuacu butter for hair is derived by pressing the seeds of the tree.
The seeds contain up to 48% stable butter, which has a soft and creamy consistency similar to shea butter. In addition to hair care, it is also used in lip balms, body butters, soaps, lotions, massage creams and facial products. Like most butters, cupuacu butter is solid at room temperature but can be melted by rubbing between palms or immersing in a bowl of hot water for a few minutes.
Unrefined Cupuacu Butter
7 Benefits of Cupuacu Butter for Hair
- Cupuacu butter is a highly moisturising emollient butter, which absorbs water, making it an ideal butter for sealing in moisture in hair.
- It can be used in a DIY butter blend to help stabilise shelf life and consistency.
- It moisturises and nourishes dry and brittle hair.
- The butter contains various essential fatty acids, which helps promote hair elasticity and durability.
- It’s a lighter butter than shea butter so if your hair feels weighed down by shea butter, cupuacu butter is a suitable alternative.
- Cupuacu butter forms a protective barrier against harsh UV rays. If you spend a lot of time in the sun daily, this is a great butter to include in your regimen.
- It has a shelf life of up to 2 years when stored properly making it an economical option for hair care.
Looking at all the properties outlined above, the best hair butter to use in dry environments is cupuacu butter.
Cupuacu Butter vs Shea Butter
As mentioned above, cupuacu butter has a lighter consistency than shea butter. When it comes to sealing in moisture, cupuacu butter is up to 4 times more effective than shea butter due to its hydrophilic properties. Additionally cupuacu butter is a more effective and natural replacement for lanolin in hair care products.
In the end, it boils down to personal preferences but if you have chronically dry hair, you may want to consider using cupuacu butter in the LOC method or combining cupuacu butter and shea butter.
Where to Buy Cupuacu Butter
Always opt for unrefined butter especially if you plan to use it in hair product formulations. The popular choices on Amazon includes Cebra Ethical Skin Care Cupuacu Butter and Paris Fragrances & Cosmetics Supplies Raw & Unrefined Cupuacu Butter.
8 Hair Products Containing Cupuacu Butter
These products are excellent for helping maintain moisture in hair and reverse dry hair. You can include these products in your regimen and finish with cupuacu butter as a final step.
Image credits – www.flickr.com/photos/cupuacufruit