“What is the best essential oil for hair growth?” – F.M
An essentials oil is a volatile liquid extracted from plants and named from whichever plant its extracted from. They are mostly extracted via steam distillation although other methods like solvent extraction, resin tapping, cold pressing and expression are also used. Essential oils are popular in aromatherapy for their healing and relaxative properties.
The best essential oils for hair growth have several things in common. They are antimicrobial, antibacterial, anti-fungal, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and/or antioxidant.
Best Essential Oils for Hair Growth & Thickness
The best essential oils for hair growth and thickness includes:
7 Dos and Don’ts of Essential Oils
- Essential oils shouldn’t be ingested. They are toxic. While there are some therapeutic grade essential oils that are marked as fit for consumption, they should be ingested only under the direction of an experienced and certified professional.
- Undiluted essential oils shouldn’t be applied to skin as it can cause contact dermatitis. Keep away from skin as much as possible before diluting.
- Pregnant women should not use essential oils unless cleared with a physician. It has also been shown to cause irritation and nausea in pregnant women.
- Essential oils should be stored in dark amber bottles in a cool location to preserve their integrity.
- Do not use essential oils on children under the age of 5 unless directed by a physician.
- If you have any allergies, check with the physician before you start using the essential oils below.
- Do no use essential oils as a heat protectant. Some of them are flammable when exposed to sparks or electricity.
Stimulating Essential Oils Blend for Hair Growth
Previous articles which examined each essential oil mentioned above recommended several blends for hair issues. You can use one of those recipes or the one below. They are all effective and comes down to which mix your hair reacts best to:
- Mix equal parts of sweet almond oil and Jamaican black castor oil (JBCO) or clear castor oil in a 4 oz amber coloured bottle. You can also add in 1 teaspoon of emu oil and vitamin E oil.
- Add in 5 drops each of rosemary essential oil, peppermint essential oil and eucalyptus essential oil. Shake.
- Open and add in 5 drops of lemongrass essential oil or neem essential oil. The addition of lemongrass oil or neem essential oil helps to address any scalp issues you might have, which may be hindering effective hair growth.
- If you want to dial down the odour of the mix, you can add in a few drops of lavender essential oil or ylang ylang essential oil.
You may need to mix and match the recipe to figure out which mix your hair will like best. Use the mix as a scalp massage oil 2 – 3 times a week before going to bed. You can also use it to massage your scalp 30 – 45 minutes before shampooing and conditioning.
Previous Essential Oil Articles
- Apply Rosemary Oil for Scalp Issues, Hair Growth & Thinning Hair
- The Proven Science Behind Peppermint Oil for Hair Loss Issues
- Eucalyptus Essential Oil for Hair & Skin
If you enjoyed this post, you’ll be interested in The Ultimate Hair Growth Guide, a comprehensive tool for recovering from hair loss, regrowing bald spots and filling in thin areas of your scalp.
There’s a whole chapter in there dedicated to the role of essentials oils in recovering from hair loss as well as the best essential oils for hair loss and how to combine them with natural oils.
Learn more and grab your discounted copy in Kindle or Paperback HERE.