I love vibrant hair colours like red, wine, blue and copper and would love to try those colours on my hair. Unfortunately, the only option for this is with chemical dyes, which is a bad idea. I have always been a big advocate of dying hair through natural means like henna and indigo or Lush Tablets rather than chemical dyes.
Why Chemical Hair Dyeing is Bad
- Chemical dyes strip the hair of essential protein needed for strength.
- It breaks down the natural structure of the hair and changes your pattern over time if not immediately.
- You won’t notice your hair is getting damaged if you dye back to back.
- There is no way around the damage. It doesn’t matter how gentle the chemical dye is. The only thing waiting for you at the end of a dyeing cycle is a pair of scissors.
Quite a few naturalistas on YouTube have sustained damage after chemical dying and have subsequently had to trim their hair. The few that come to mind are – Naptural85, Taren Guy and jjlomax among others.
I think we can conclude there is no perfect way to dye your hair with chemicals and come out on top. However, even with knowing this, some women would still rather dye with chemicals. Afterall, it’s fast, easy and convenient.
If you’re one of those women, I suggest the below super oil treatment twice a week at least a month before you dye your hair.
Super Oil Treatment to Prevent Hair Colour Damage
- Mix the oils together in a dark jar. Give the jar a shake.
- Add in the vitamin E oil and shake again.
- Add in the dried hibiscus flowers.
- Close the jar tightly and set aside to infuse for a week.
- After a week, strain and throw out the hibiscus flowers.
Shampoo your hair and squeeze out the excess water. Apply the oil mix to the full length of your hair and cover with a shower cap for 30 mins. Uncover and apply your favourite deep conditioner over the oil. Cover again and sit under a steamer for 45 mins. Rinse with lukewarm water thoroughly and style your hair as usual.
If you find your hair too oily, reduce the amount of oil you use for the treatment. An alternative is to sit under the steamer with the oil only for 30 mins. Apply conditioner quickly and return to the steamer for another 15 mins, then rinse.
Repeat this treatment twice a week up to a month before you dye your hair. I can’t stress enough that this oil will not prevent damage from occurring. What it will do is minimize the damage in the long term. Shop the oil recommendations below:
I have settled on trying out my fantasy hair colours through wearing wigs. I can abuse those as much as I like and my hair will still remain intact.
For more solutions on protecting chemically dyed hair with oils, be sure to check out How to Grow Your Hair Healthy & Long with Natural Oils, a comprehensive guide about natural oils. Available in PDF, Kindle & paperback format. Subscribers get up to 30% off. Check it out HERE.
Image 2 credit