This is the last in the lemongrass series. You can read the previous articles at Reduce Scalp Irritation & Inflammation with Lemongrass Oil and How to Make Lemongrass Oil.
Lemongrass is a versatile herb used in cooking and aromatherapy. It’s also great for hair treatments, mainly with scalp issues and strengthening strands. You can purchase lemongrass oil to include in your products or you can make these three recipes at home with dry organic lemongrass.
Lemongrass Hair Rinse
You will need 2 tbsps of lemongrass and 2 cups of water
- Add the lemongrass to 2 cups of boiling water.
- Steep for 20 minutes then strain the rinse out of the lemongrass.
- Set aside to cool.
- After shampooing, apply the rinse to your hair and work it in especially on the scalp.
- Leave for 5 minutes then rinse out and apply your conditioner.
- If your hair is oily, use the rinse after conditioning.
Lemongrass & Lavender Hair Balm
You will need shea butter or cocoa butter, 2 tbsps of castor oil, grapeseed oil, lavender oil and lemongrass (modify ingredient amounts as per the final quantity you had in mind).
- Mix the castor oil, jojoba oil and lavender oil together and heat over a bowl of hot water.
- Once warm, add in the lemongrass and let the mixture steep overnight.
- Strain the next morning.
- Soften the shea butter or cocoa butter over a bowl of hot water then add in the oil mixture. You can also use equal parts of shea butter and cocoa butter.
- Whip hard with a fork or whisk for 5 – 10 mins until the mixture is frothy.
- Pour into a jar and leave in the fridge to set.
You can use this mixture in the LOC method. You can also use it as body butter. A little goes a long way.
Both of these recipes work for all hair types and can be modified slightly depending on what you’re aiming for.
If you enjoyed this post, you’ll be interested in The Ultimate Hair Growth Guide, a comprehensive tool for recovering from hair loss, regrowing bald spots and filling in thin areas of your scalp. There’s a whole chapter in there dedicated to the specific natural herbs required for hair growth and why. Learn more and grab your discounted copy HERE.