I discussed using lemongrass oil for scalp issues in an earlier article – Reduce Scalp Inflammation & Irritation with Lemongrass Oil and shared a recipe for this. If lemongrass grows around your house and you’re keen on making your own lemongrass oil, continue reading. A few stalks of lemongrass will yield a good amount of oil, which should last for a while. Additionally, the process is simple and preparation time isn’t minimal.
Most lemongrass on the market is obtained via steam distillation. This procedure is common for extracting elements from plant materials, as lower temperatures are required.
- Remove the leaves from the stalk and break into pieces. Let the stalks dry before use. Wet stalks will ruin the mixture.
- Crush in the mortar and pestle then transfer to a medium sized glass jar.
- Heat up the oil of your choice without allowing it to boil.
- Fill up the jar with the stalks, close then set aside on a windowsill.
- Leave to infuse for 3 days.
- Afterwards, strain the oil through cheesecloth or a mesh strainer. Squeeze the cheesecloth until you get all of the oil out of the stalks. Discard the stalks subsequently.
- Transfer to a dark bottle and store in a cool place. It should last you for up to a year.
Did you enjoy the article? For regular updates on how to solve hair issues with oil and entry into the $25 quarterly giveaway, subscribe to the newsletter below and grab some exclusive freebies! :).