Walnut oil is another oil in the nut oil family alongside almond oil, macadamia nut oil, kukui nut oil and hazelnut oil. The oil is extracted from English walnuts, which are aka Persian walnuts. Walnut oil producers can be found in USA, France, Australia and New Zealand.
Walnut oil is obtained by cold pressing or refining the oil. While the results of both processes are food grade, the cold pressing preserves more of the nutrients and flavor. The good news is you can use both types for hair treatments.
The Benefits of Walnut Oil for Hair
- Walnut oil contains a high concentration of alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), an omega-3 fatty acid that helps promote supple hair.
- It’s rich in vitamins B1, B2 & B3, vitamin e, zinc, manganese, niacin, potassium and copper, all minerals that can help boost hair growth.
- Walnut oil is also beneficial in eliminating dandruff and has anti-fungal properties, which nourishes the scalp and prevents scalp infections.
- Walnut oil is one of the best antioxidants;countering the effects of free radicals.
I bought this oil to include in my healthy oil for body series but ended up experimenting with my hair instead and I liked the way my scalp felt afterwards. I mixed and matched various oils until I settled on the recipe below.
Walnut Oil Recipe for Silky Hair & Healthier Scalp
- Mix 10 tablespoons of walnut oil, 5 tablespoons of jojoba oil and 5 drops of tea tree essential oil together.
- Part your hair and apply mixture to your scalp until your whole head is covered.
- Massage in circles with firm pressure until your scalp feels heated, cover with a shower cap, then a towel and leave in for an hour.
- Wash out with a mild shampoo and condition your hair.
You can use the above recipe once or twice a week. If you’re not fond of walnut oil, appropriate substitutes are olive oil, almond oil, hazelnut oil, flaxseed oil and safflower oil. As with all nut oils, you can also add walnuts into your diet.
A few handfuls everyday is more than enough and can help lower bad cholesterol. However, you get more benefits by consuming walnut oil. Read Healthier Salad Dressings with Walnut Oil.
Did you enjoy the article? For more on how to solve hair issues and doing more to your hair with natural oils, have a look at How to Grow Your Hair Healthy & Long with Natural Oils.