Colouring hair, even when done correctly, tends to lead to a plethora of problems such as dry hair, breaking hair and allergic reactions among other complications. A safe way to colour hair is through natural methods such as henna but sometimes, ladies still go with the chemical products available on the market for a number of reasons related to convenience and colour variety. If you find your hair suffering from one or more of above problems caused by colouring, you can remedy it through the use of safflower oil.
Safflower aka Carthamus tinctorius is an herbaceous, thistle-like flower which blooms annually. It is a vegetable oil and is extracted from the seeds of the flowe. The plant’s flower heads bloom in yellow, orange and red colours, and has a very mild flavour. Currently, there are two kinds of safflower oil on the market but the version high in monounsaturated fatty acid (oleic acid) is the edible version used in cooking and for hair care. Some great advantages of safflower oil are outlined below: –
- Its high content of essential polyunsaturated fatty acids makes it ideal for treating problems arising from colour treated hair.
- With each tablespoon providing up to 4.6 milligrams of vitamin E, safflower oil is a perfect source of this vital nutrient, aiding in hydrating your scalp and upping its antioxidant levels.
- It also helps with preventing the loss of protein from the hair like Peanut Oil.
- Its high smoking point qualifies it as one of the oils suitable for heat styling.
The best way to gain the benefits of safflower oil is as scalp massage oil or for hot oil treatments. The scalp massage helps dilate the blood vessels, allowing more nutrients to reach the hair follicles. This fosters an environment for healthy hair growth. The hot oil treatments will help to hydrate your strands and reduce the effects of hair colouring. It can also help enhance the colour. As it’s easily absorbed, you can also use it as sealing oil a few times a week.
If preferred, it can be taken as a nutritional supplement. However, focusing on external application can help address the issues faster. Read my earlier articles on Healthy Hair from the Inside with Oil, Part 1 & Part 2 for recommended oil supplements.
When buying safflower oil, ensure you pick up the organic expeller-pressed oils. They might be more expensive but they are better in the long run.
The most recommended Safflower oil brands are Hain Safflower Oil & Spectrum Naturals Expeller Pressed Organic High Heat Safflower Oil.
- Sunflower oil can be used as an alternative to safflower oil.
- Safflower oil can also be used for shaving your legs leading to smooth, silky and moisturized legs!
If you have enjoyed the article, don’t forget to sign up for regular updates and your exclusive freebies below! 🙂