Soybeans were part of my family diet when I was growing up but I hated it for reasons I can’t remember now. I did everything to avoid eating it. Eventually, my mum gave up trying to force feed it to me.
Over the last few months, I’ve developed an unexplainable fondness for edamame beans – immature soybeans still in the pod. Subsequently, I began looking at the other derivative of soybeans, which can be used for hair care – soybean oil.
Soybean oil is a vegetable oil extracted from the seeds of the soybean by cracking the soybeans, heating it up and solvent extracting the oil with hexane. It is then refined. Sometimes the oil is hydrogenated. However, this leads to production of trans-fatty acids, an unhealthy component used in processed foods.
While soybean oil is used for cooking in some countries, my recommendations for cooking with oils would be coconut oil, olive oil, peanut oil, sesame seed oil and red palm oil. They’re healthier and less processed.
5 Benefits of Soybean Oil
- The nutrients, such as carbohydrates, protein, manganese & vitamin K, and lipids in the oil helps it absorb better into the hair for treatments.
- It’s non greasy and absorbs without leaving behind a residue.
- It can restore moisture and shine to hair over time.
- A little goes a long way enabling a bottle to last you for quite some time.
- It can be used for all types of hair from type 1 to type 4.
How to Hydrate Hair with Soybean Oil
- For moisture retention, heat 1/3 cup of soybean oil then apply to dry hair. Leave in for ½ and hour then rinse out with warm water.
- For sealing in moisture and taming frizz, apply soybean oil as part of your LOC method.
- To combat dry hair, add 1/3 cup of soybean oil to your usual deep conditioning mix and proceed with your usual treatment. This treatment will also add shine to the hair.
Pure soybean oil is the best for hair treatments as it’s free of pesticides and other chemicals.
Consuming edamame beans as well is a good way to get protein in your diet, which can help boost your hair growth. You can get the beans in the vegetables section of your local grocery store. They’re easy to cook and serve as a nutritious and delicious snack at any time of the day.
Soybean Oil Extraction
Did you enjoy the article? For more information and including natural oils into your hair care regimen for moisture, growth and retention, be sure to have a look at How to Grow Hair Healthy & Long with Natural Oils.