Rice bran oil is obtained from the hard outer brown layer of rice. This sounds like fiber and makes one wonder exactly how oil can be extracted from it. This is done with the use of a solvent to extract the oil initially followed by neutralization, bleaching and deodorization. This process stabilizes the oil giving it a longer shelf life. While the end product isn’t 100% natural, it’s still useful for hair treatments.
The composition of rice bran oil is similar to that of peanut oil and has a high smoking point of 450 °F making it suitable for use with heat appliances. It also has a mild flavor and is light amber in colour.
Benefits of Rice Bran Oil for Hair
- Revitalizing dry and dull hair.
- It contains oryzanol, which helps protect hair against the sun’s UV rays.
- Reducing oiliness on the scalp.
- Providing nourishment for hair follicles.
- Keeping hair soft without weighing it down.
Rice Bran Oil Hair Mask Recipe
- Mix the conditioner and rice bran oil thoroughly then add in the hemp seed oil.
- Stir and add in the essential oil.
- Stir until all the ingredients have dissolved into each other.
- Wash your hair and pat dry with a turban then apply the mask to your hair in sections.
- Apply like you would a perm and smoothen throughout the hair then cover with a shower cap and hot towel, steam cap or table top steamer.
- Leave on for 30 – 45 minutes.
- Rinse out thoroughly and style your hair as usual.
Several treatments a month should lead to an improved appearance in your hair. To get the benefits of the oryzanol, you can also use the oil for sealing. It’s lightweight and should absorb without leaving a greasy feel to the hair.
Rice bran oil needs to be stored in the refrigerator to keep it from going rancid quickly. It can last up to 3 years if stored this way.
Have you tried rice bran oil in your regimen?
If you’re interested in learning more about natural oils and how to use them for specific purposes to achieve optimal length and health, have a look at How to Grow Your Hair Healthy & Long with Natural Oils, a comprehensive guide about natural oils. Available in PDF, Kindle & paperback format. Subscribers get up to 30% off. Check it out HERE.