What’s a Pre-Poo & Why Pre-Poo?
A pre-poo is a treatment done prior to shampooing your hair to prepare your hair for the rest of your regimen. A pre-poo is done to primarily on curly hair although all hair types could benefit from the treatment. Oils, conditioners, honey and other natural components can be used for a pre-poo treatment either separately or mixed together.
A pre-poo treatment is done to help hair retain moisture, avoid drying out your hair, have a easier time detangling, and softer hair. It’s an ideal treatment for dry and damaged hair and you can’t really go wrong with a pre-poo.
I have been experimenting with different oil and conditioner mixes for a while and though they have all worked on some level, none has led me to hair nirvana quite as much as the pre-poo outlined below. I’ve been testing it for the last few months to make sure it’s not some fortunate fluke but it works like no other pre-poo I’ve ever used with only five ingredients.
5 Ingredients for the Best Pre-Poo Ever For Curly Hair
- Grandma’s Unsulphured Molasses
- Wheat Germ Oil
- Unrefined Coconut Oil
- Tresemme Naturals Avocado and Aloe Vera conditioner or your favourite creamy deep conditioner.
- Motions CPR Conditioner or your favourite mild protein conditioner
Directions for Pre-Poo Recipe
- Pour about 4 – 5 tablespoons of Grandma’s Unsulphured Molasses into a bowl.
- Heat up 1/3 cup of unrefined coconut oil over hot water then add to the molasses. Mix until runny.
- Add in 3tablespoons of Motions CPR and mix.
- Add in enough Tresemme Naturals Avocado and Aloe Vera conditioner to cover your hair. Roughly 2 – 3 tablespoons should be fine. Mix until smooth and creamy.
- Add in 3 – 4 tablespoons of wheat germ oil. Mix again until it’s a lovely brown colour.
How to Use Pre-Poo Recipe
- Part your hair into sections and start working the mix in. Apply like a relaxer paying attention to the ends of your hair.
- After your entire head is covered, wrap in cling film and a warm towel and leave it in for about 2 hours.
- Wash out with Cream of Nature Argan Oil shampoo or your favourite mild shampoo.
- Deep condition with your usual conditioner with almond oil and castor oil mixed in.
The results include buttery soft hair heaven, easy to detangle hair and seriously moisturized hair for days.
I’ve tried it a few times the last 3 months and the results have been consistent. I added in a jar of banana baby food once but it messed with the formula and it wasn’t quite so easy to detangle afterwards so I eliminated that ingredient.
The key ingredients in achieving this consistent result appears to be the wheat germ oil and grandma’s molasses so I expect you can play around with the products if you don’t like any of them but don’t eliminate the key ingredients.
If you would like to know more about how to use natural oils for specific purposes to get more effective use out of them, you may want to check out How to Grow Hair Healthy & Long with Natural Oils, a guide which goes in-depth into which specific oil (s) works for each hair issues for optimal length and health.