Hemp seed oil aka hemp oil is derived from hemp seeds by cold pressing them. Hemp seed oil is darkish/light green in colour and has a rich nutty taste. This green colour can be attributed to the high levels of chlorophyll naturally present in the seeds.
Repeated used of hemp seed oil over time can help to achieve silky and smooth hair texture. Read on to find out the best way to achieve this with hemp seed oil.
Benefits of Hemp Seed Oil for Hair
- Hemp seed oil contains the most natural source of essential fatty acids and has the ideal balance of 3:1 ratio of omega-6 to omega-3, which is perfect for the body.
- Hemp seed oil is non-greasy, moisturizing, nourishes and softens the hair.
- It can help facilitate keratin formation on hair. Keratin is a protein, which forms the main structural component of hair and nails.
- Hemp seed oil is a ceramide oil. Ceramides help to keep the hair cuticle flat and protected from damage. This puts a barrier of sorts in place, which prevents the loss of protein from the hair.
Internal Uses of Hemp Seed Oil
Nutritionists believe that taking hemp seed oil internally will provide better benefits than using it externally. It’s supposed to reduce shedding and help stimulate growth of hair and nails. Be warned though, the taste of hemp seed oil is a bit gross. To combat this, try ingesting it in the following ways:
- Buy empty gel capsules and fill them with the oil before ingesting. 1 – 2 tablespoons per day ought to do it.
- Purchase ready-made hemp seed oil capsules.
- Add hemp seed oil into your daily smoothies. I add a variety of oils in mine and the taste is masked in the end results.
External Uses of Hemp Seed Oil
- Mix hemp seed oil into your pre-poo treatment. You’ll be surprised at how soft and smooth your hair will feel like after rinsing out. You can also use it as a pre-poo on its own.
- Massage into your hair and scalp, twist up and leave in overnight then wash out the next morning with a mild shampoo and condition with a suitable deep conditioner.
I don’t recommend applying heat with hemp seed oil as this greatly degrades the effectiveness. However, if you’re not happy without some form of heat, you can cover your hair with a shower cap or Saran wrap after applying the oil, heat a wet towel then wrap it around your hai for 30 – 45 minutes before shampooing and conditioning.
Hemp Seed Oil Mask for Hair
- Pour 5 tablespoons of hemp seed oil, 3 tablespoons of honey, 5 tablespoons of avocado oil, a banana and 5 – 10 drops of rosemary or eucalyptus essential oil into a blender.
- Blend together thoroughly. If you live in a dry/humid environment, leave out the honey or you can replace with 3 tablespoons of your favourite deep conditioner.
- Apply the mask to hair, cover with a cap and wait for about ½ an hour, then rinse out and style.
- Amounts can be increased or decreased depending on the length of your hair.
In order to reap the full benefits, stick to the routine for 3 – 6 months. You can also combine using it internally as well as externally.
Which Brands of Hemp Seed Oil is the Best?
Not all hemp seed oils on the market are created equal. Some of them are refined and can usually be identified by the pale colour and lack of flavour.
Always looks out for organic cold pressed hemp seed oil especially if you want to consume it. Below are the top 3 recommendations for hemp seed oil:
For more articles like above, sign up to the newsletter below for updates, tips, exclusive entries into giveaways and discount on How to Grow Hair Healthy & Long with Natural Oils. Enter your details below to sign up.