Argan oil is produced from the green nut of the argan tree, which can be found in Morocco. Though only coming to the limelight in recent years, Argan has been popular in Morocco for centuries and is renowned for its nutritious and cosmetic properties.
The tree from which Argan oil kernels are found can survive for years in the dessert. However, it’s one of the rarest oils in the world. Argan oil is rich in natural antioxidants, essential fatty acids like omega 3 & omega 9, carotenoids, ferulic acid, sterols and polyphenols. It also contains a significantly high amount of vitamin E and squalene.
Argan oil is frequently referred to as liquid gold due to its perceived miraculous and regenerative effects on the skin and hair. While the oil has properties similar to jojoba oil, its effects are different. The best kind of argan oil is the 100% pure variety, which hasn’t undergone any processing. Some of the more obvious benefits of argan oil include but are not limited to: -
- Hydrating hair in a natural way.
- It penetrates into the hair shaft to enhance elasticity which is a sign of healthy hair.
- It smoothens the hair cuticle.
- The presence of natural vitamin E in the oil is a great agent for hair treatment.
- Unsaturated fatty acids in the oil strengthen the protein bonding structures in hair thereby improving the elasticity of the hair and reducing split ends and breakage.
Interesting fact about Argan Oil: The species Argania once covered North Africa and is now endangered and under protection of UNESCO.